Finding Military Retirees and Veterans

On the phone. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Piper/Army
On the phone. Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Raymond J. Piper/Army

Each of the branches of the military has separate procedures for contacting active or past service members. In cases of emergency, immediate family members should contact the local chapter of the American Red Cross. The telephone number and address are available from your local telephone directory, directory assistance, or by calling the National Contact Center toll-free at 1-800-FED-INFO, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., eastern time.

Provide as much identifying information as possible about the person you wish to locate, such as full name, rank, last duty assignment/last known military address, service number, and Social Security number.

The locator service is free to immediate family members and Federal and State government officials. Other family members, civilian friends, businesses, or any others must pay a non-refundable fee of $3.50 in the form of a check or money order made payable to the U.S. Treasury.

Locating Army Retirees

To locate an Army retiree:

Army Reserve Personnel Center ATTN: ARPC-VSE-VS 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200

Locating Army Separatees

To locate an Army separatee:

National Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Avenue St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200

Current addresses are not maintained for separatees who are not serving under reserve obligation. In such cases you might want to try a military organization such as the American Legion or VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars).

Locating Navy Retirees or Separatess

To locate a retiree or separatee of the U.S. Navy:

Navy Worldwide Locator Bureau of Naval Personnel Pers-312 5720 Integrity Drive Millington, Tennessee 38055-3120

Voice: 901/874-3388 (Recording 24 hours per day, live assistance available - 7:00a.m. - 4:30p.m., central time)

Limited service is available by writing to the address above. Letters will be forwarded, if possible, to the retiree. A locator notice can also be posted in the Navy retiree's newsletter Shift Colors or you may advertise for former shipmates in any of the many veterans' organization magazines.

Locating Air Force Personnel

The Air Force Worldwide Locator can locate active duty personnel, as well as retirees, reservists, and guardsmen. Parents, spouses, and government officials may call 210/565-2478. Letters requesting locator service should be mailed to:

HQ AFPC/MSMIDL 550 C Street, West, Suite 50 Randolph AFB, Texas 78150-4752 Voice: 210/565-2660 (Live assistance - Monday - Friday 7:30a.m. - 4:30p.m., central time)

The Air Force will not help in locating separatees or Army Air Corps retirees. You may write to the National Personnel Records Center below or contact one of the various veterans' service organizations to help in locating these persons.

National Personnel Records Center 9700 Page Avenue Saint Louis, Missouri 63132-1500

Locating Marine Corps Personnel

The Marine Corps is not able to assist in locating former Marines. They suggest you place an ad in Leatherneck Magazine. There is a monthly feature called "Mail Call" that includes locator requests. There is no charge for the service and you may send your request to:

Mail Call Editor P.O. Box 1775 Quantico, Virginia 22134

Locating Coast Guard Personnel

Send mail to:

Commanding Officer (RAS) Coast Guard Personnel Support Center 444 S.E. Quincy Street Topeka, KS 66683-3591 (785) 339-3415, (785) 339-3770 FAX

Show Full Article