Members of the National Guard are eligible for tuition assistance. However each of the Armed Forces determines how to administer their own Tuition Assistance (TA). In addition each state may offer its National Guard members state funded education incentives based on state guidelines and eligibility (i.e. TA, waivers, exemptions, student loan repayment, etc.
Army National Guard (ARNG)
The ARNG federal tuition assistance program provides financial assistance to ARNG soldiers in support of their professional and personal self-development goals. A masters degree may be supported provided funding is available.
The maximum amount paid for federal tuition assistance for ARNG members is:
- 100% tuition up to $250 per semester hour, up to 16 semester hours annually
- Not to exceed $4,000 per fiscal year
- Lifetime limit of 130 undergraduate semester hours
- Lifetime limit of 39 graduate semester hours
- May be used with the Post-9/11 GI Bill or MGIB-Active Duty (AD) for the same course
- The college/university is regionally or nationally accredited and is a GoArmyEd participant
- The course meets a requirement in your documented degree plan from the school
- For undergraduate courses you must maintain a GPA of 2.0
- For graduate courses you must maintain a GPA of 3.0
Air National Guard (ANG)
If activated you will become eligible for the Air Force Tuition Assistance for Active Duty and Activated Reserve/Guard. This Tuition Assistance Program offers 100% tuition and fees up to $250 per semester hour, not to exceed $4,000 per fiscal year.
State Tuition Assistance
Although not all states offer payment of TA, many states have additional tuition incentives, which are offered at varying amounts. Visit our State Benefits page to see your state benefits.
Keep Up With Your Education Benefits
Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, Military.com can help. Subscribe to Military.com to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.