Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Graduation cap atop pile of cash
(Adobe Stock)

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. The grant is similar to a Pell Grant but is not limited by your family income like a Pell Grant is.

Who Can Get an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant?

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if:

  • You are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your expected family contribution.
  • You meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements.
  • Your parent or guardian was a member of the military and died as a result of service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11.
  • You are under 24 or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death.

How Much Money Can I Get?

The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant but can't exceed your cost of attendance for that award year.  For grants between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024, the maximum award is $7,395.

How Do I Get The Grant?

Completing and submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is necessary to be eligible for all forms of federal financial aid, including grants, work-study, and federal student loans.

Find More Military-Friendly Scholarships 

Find more cash for school or get the lowdown on scholarships and education help available for your family. FastWeb can help. Visit to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues