Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grants from the VA can help veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities live more independently and barrier-free in their own homes. Grants of up to $81,080 are awarded to eligible disabled veterans to help build or modify homes to best suit their needs.
An SAH grant can be used to:
- Build a specially adapted home on suitable land to be owned or already owned
- Remodel an existing home to make it suitable for specially adapted housing
- Apply the grant toward the unpaid mortgage balance of an adapted home already owned by a veteran who obtained or remodeled the home without VA grant assistance
What Does The SAH Grant Cover?
The SAH grant typically covers modifications of the following:
- Bathrooms, kitchens, and bedrooms
- Covered porches, ramps, and walkways
- Garages, carports, and passageways
- Doors, windows, and flooring
- Security items
- Concrete or asphalt walkways
- Sliding doors, handrails, and grab bars
- Additional elements as per the VA
Who Is Eligible For SAH Grants?
The VA determines eligibility for SAH Grants. If you have a permanent and total service-connected disability you may be eligible. Here are some examples of conditions that qualify:
- Loss of or loss of use of both arms and/or both legs
- Blindness in both eyes or limited to light perception
- Certain severe burn injuries
- Certain severe respiratory injuries
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Is It Possible To Get More Than One Grant?
The VA makes SAH grants for up to 50 percent of the total cost of the home, and to a maximum of $85.645 per fiscal year, whichever is less. The VA recognizes that home values can change, and grant limits can increase. So the law allows for the SAH grant benefits to be used as many as three times by one eligible veteran.
Take Advantage Of Your Benefit
NEXT STEP: For more information on SAH grants, contact the VA. To learn about your VA loan benefits, check eligibility or start an application, click here or call 800-218-0084. To read about one veteran’s journey to homeownership, visit www.ifreedomdirect.com.
Stay On Top Of Your Benefits
Military benefits are always changing -- keep up with everything from pay to health care by signing up for a free Military.com membership, which will send all the latest benefits straight to your inbox, as well as give you access to up-to-date pay charts and more.
Veterans First is a trade name of Wintrust Mortgage, a division of Barrington Bank & Trust Company, N.A., a Wintrust Community Bank. I NMLS# 449042 I Equal Housing Lender