The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,500 Medals of Honor to our nation's bravest soldies, sailors, airmen, Marines and coasties since the award was created in 1861. A member of the Space Force has never been awarded the Medal of Honor.
Medal of Honor Recipient Benefits
- A special tax-free Medal of Honor pension of $1,619.34 per month above and beyond any military pensions or other benefits for which they may be eligible. Most surviving spouses are also eligible for this pension The MoH pension is subject to cost-of-living increases and is tax free.
- Special entitlements to Space “A” air transportation
- Enlisted recipients are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance
- Commissary and exchange privileges (includes eligible dependents)
- Access to MWR and base lodging facilities
- Priority 1 consideration for Department of Veterans Affairs claims
- Admission to the United States military academies for qualified children of recipients – without nomination and quota requirements
- 10% increase in retired pay
- Exempt from medical care co-payments
- Medal of Honor Flag
- Added to the Medal of Honor Roll
- May wear the uniform at anytime as long as the standard restrictions are observed
- Many states offer Medal of Honor automobile license plates along with other state veteran benefits
- Interment at Arlington National Cemetery if not otherwise eligible
- Invitations to many high-level events, including inaugurations and special ceremonies
Who Is Given the Medal of Honor?
The Medal of Honor is bestowed for extraordinary acts of valor, and is often bestowed posthumously. The Medal of Honor is never “won.” It is presented, awarded, bestowed or given after a service member’s act of selfless courage, typically at the risk or loss of that individual’s own life. It is the nation’s highest honor.
Stay on Top of Your Veteran Benefits
Military benefits are always changing. Keep up with everything from pay to health care by subscribing to Military.com, and get access to up-to-date pay charts and more with all latest benefits delivered straight to your inbox.