Specially Adapted Housing Details

man at home cooking in wheelchair

The VA offers grants for certain disabled veterans to make an existing or new home accessible. There are basically two different grants: the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant, and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant. 

There is also a Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) Grant which is available to eligible veterans who need to modify a family member's home they are temporarily living in. It follows the same rules as the SAH & SHA grant, but has some limitations.

If you qualify for both grants, you will be limited to the one that pays you the most money.

The SAH grant is available to veterans who have:

  1. The loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  2. The loss or loss of use of a lower leg along with the residuals (lasting effects) of an organic (natural) disease or injury
  3. Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  4. Certain severe burns
  5. The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity (foot or leg) after Sep. 11, 2001, which makes it so you can’t balance or walk without the help of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair

The SHA Grant is available to veterans who have:

  1. Blindness in both eyes with 20/200 visual acuity or less.
  2. Loss of or loss of use of both hands.
  3. Certain severe burn injuries.
  4. Certain severe respiratory injuries

When you are rated for compensation by the VA, they will determine your eligibility to the grants.

Housing Grant Amounts

  • For the SHA Grant: An eligible veteran may receive a VA grant of not more than 50% of the cost of a specially adapted house, up to the aggregate maximum amount allowable by law. The current maximum grant amount allowable for FY2023 is $22,036.
  • For the SAH Grant: An eligible veteran may receive a VA grant of not more than $109,986 for fiscal year 2023.

These amounts are adjusted annually each October 1 based on a cost-of-construction index.

You may receive up to six grants. The total you receive cannot exceed the amounts listed above. Depending on your situation, you could also receive the total maximum amount in one grant.

Modifications That Are Eligible For Grants

Some of the modifications that are covered under these grants include:

  • wheelchair or other ramps
  • making doorways wider
  • making garage or carport wider to allow wheelchair entry into vehicle
  • making bathrooms accessible
  • making light switches, fuse boxes, and outlets accessible
  • replacing or removing carpet to allow wheelchair use
  • adding smoke/carbon monoxide detectors that have visual or special audible alarms
  • adding a zone controlled HVAC system or generator backup
  • adapting a kitchen

Remember, the VA must approve all modifications before they will pay for them!

How To Apply For Benefits

When you are rated by the VA they will also send you a VA Form 26-4555c (Veteran's Supplemental Application for Assistance in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing) to be filled out when you are ready to obtain the grant.

After you complete and return the form, the VA will send you a letter explaining the terms and conditions under which the funds will be made available. 

The VA will also provide assistance in determining what types of modifications are necessary, and may even recommend several contractors that can complete the work. However, you can choose any contractor.

Stay on Top of Your Veteran Benefits

Military benefits are always changing. Keep up with everything from pay to health care by subscribing to Military.com, and get access to up-to-date pay charts and more with all latest benefits delivered straight to your inbox.

Show Full Article